Category: Local News
Published: Wednesday, 23 December 2020 10:27
Written by Amie MacInnis
There’s been a recent rise in garage fires in Red Deer and Red Deer Emergency Services has offered some tips in keeping your garage and home safe from flames.
A recent garage fire has been estimated at $120,000 in damages. Expensive tools, vehicles, and equipment can become costly in no time. Fires in detached garages can cause a significant risk to the home.
Here are some fire safety tips from Red Deer Emergency Services:
- Store flammable and combustible liquids in proper containers, away from sources of ignition. Make sure lids are properly sealed so they don’t release flammable vapours.
- When using space heaters, keep all combustible materials at least a metre away from the heaters. Turn off heaters when no one is in the garage.
- When using extension cords, ensure that the cords are rated for the electrical load that cord will be used for. Extension cords are not meant to be used as permanent wiring.
- Dispose of smoking materials/cigarette butts in sturdy ashtrays or non-combustible containers.
- Ensure you keep your garage secured against unauthorized access. Confirm the overhead door has closed completely before leaving the garage.
- Garages are not to be used for living in as they lack the life safety features a home would have.
You can check out more fire…