A dent in the garage door is not a pretty sight, as it is just like a minor scratch on a mobile phone.
It may be just a minimal amount of damage aesthetically, but it can be very unpleasant.
A dent in the garage door can also lead to further damages to the door.
Thus, it should not be taken for granted because this dent can lead to paint chipping, which can lead to rusting, and ultimately, will lead to loss of functionality.
So it is vital to detect any small dents and have it repaired as early as possible to prevent further damages to the entire overhead door system.
The garage door is a part of the house, and like the rest of the house, it also requires periodic maintenance and some fixing.
This is to ensure that it functions as it should to prevent any inconveniences in the future.
Proper periodic maintenance can also increase the appeal of the entire household.
Depending on how much damage the garage door has been subjected to, there are many possible do-it-yourself repair jobs.
These easy jobs can be done by anyone with the right amount of guidance, knowledge, and some very simple tools.
Here are some tips and tricks to do for a DIY garage door repair in Calgary.
Periodic Inspection of the Garage Door is Important
Inspecting the garage door regularly ensures that no damage has been accumulated over time.
It can also prevent minor dents and catch it in the early stages to be repaired right away.
Every couple of months, do a visual inspection of the entire garage door system.
Check for any small dents and dings, rust, and paint chippings that may have accumulated.
Fixing A Dent
A minor garage door dent repair only requires basic tools found in the house or garage.
There are also numerous ways to fix the minor dents, depending on the materials available at home.
The tools needed: putty knife, rubber mallet, a block of wood, sandpaper (fine-grit), patching material, primer, and paint.
Here are the steps:
1. Fill a bucket with warm water and put soap in it; the water needs to be sudsy.
Make sure to keep the area clean; all kinds of dirt and grime must be washed away before moving to the next step.
Wash it with the warm water and soap that has been prepared beforehand.
Let it fully dry.
2. Position a block of wood on the dent and carefully tap it with the rubber mallet to make the garage door’s dent level.
3. Use fine-grit sandpaper to even out the dent.
4. Using a patching material, cover the area with the dent and level it out using the putty knife and wait for it to thoroughly dry and use the sandpaper again to level it out.
5. Then, apply primer and let it dry completely before applying the paint.
The tools needed: Aluminum foil, air compressor, and heat source.
Here are the steps:
1. Like the first method, a bucket of soapy water is also needed for this.
Make sure to keep the area clean.
Wash it with warm water and soap and ensure that no dirt and grime are visible from the garage door.
Then, let it fully dry.
2. Estimate enough foil to cover the dented area.
Make sure to cover the entire area and then some.
It is practical to unroll the aluminum foil and measure the dented area before cutting it.
Ensure that there is enough foil to grab on to while applying this method. Then, place the piece over the dented area.
3. Using a heat source like a barbeque lighter, heat the dented area to heat the aluminum foil fully.
4. In about a minute, take off the foil and, using the compressed air, spray it upside down for 30 seconds.
These two repair methods are fast and very simple to do.
Although, if the dent is stubborn, these two ways to repair it might not be enough.
Contact a Garage Door Repair Professional
If these methods do not work, consider contacting a garage door repair professional to help with overhead door repairs.