Table of Contents
The overhead door has been part of our day to day life.
And you can see it’s use everywhere —may it be residential or commercial establishments.
It is generally used in homes and businesses.
The garage door helps us in protecting our important belongings and it also makes our life a lot easier.
The garage door cannot function if one part is broken or damaged.
That is why every overhead door part should be well maintained and fixed immediately.
If you see signs of damage or you are experiencing troubles with your garage door, call for help from a trusted garage door repair company.
Commercial garage door repair companies like Kald Gart are specialists who know what’s best for your garage door.
Common Garage Door Chain Problems
The garage door chain handles the up-down movement of your overhead door.
That is why you must include it during your visual maintenance check.
Here are the most common garage door chain problems that you will encounter.
- A loose or sagging chain.
- You will hear a rotating sound but the door is not opening. This is due to the chain that slipped off the gear.
The garage door chain tends to loosen over time for the reason that they are used daily and are exposed to conditions of wearing and tearing.
If the loose garage door chain is ignored, it might lead to a more serious problem.
A simple trick like tightening the chain will do.
However, sooner than later, you will need to replace the chain and other parts such as the gear and sprocket.
And you don’t want that to happen. That is why a regular maintenance check is needed.
And if you think you can’t fix the problem you should call the experts.
How To Fix a Malfunctioning Garage Door Chain
Fixing a broken or damaged garage door chain can be very easy and you can do it by yourself.
But do-it-yourself garage door chain repair depends on the degree of the problem.
Before starting your do-it-yourself garage door chain repair make sure to unplug your door opener and your garage door must be closed.
Then prepare the parts for replacement and the necessary tools needed.
The garage door chain is located in the middle, perpendicular to the door opener.
While the garage door chain tensioner is at the top of the release rope.
The ends of the garage door chain are connected to the tensioner and bolt.
Here’s a do-it-yourself garage door chain repair guide:
Tighten Loose Garage Door Chain
- Loosen the locking nut — which is the nut on the left. Then tighten the adjustment nut, found on the right, until you achieve the desired chain tension.
Take note: The garage door chain should not be too tight as this may cause for the gear to snap.
- The garage door chain should not be too tight nor too loose.
- Once done. Tighten back the locking nut.
Garage Door Chain Slip Off
- Remove the locking nut.
- Then place the garage door chain back onto the gear. Make sure that it is securely placed.
- Then put back the locking nut and see to it that your garage door chain is not loose.
- Once done, turn on your door opener and see if the garage door is working properly.
Replacing your Garage Door Chain
- Remove the nuts on the tensioner.
- Remove the broken garage door chain by releasing both the clip that attaches the chain onto the tensioner and bolt.
- Then clip your new garage door chains onto the tensioner and bolt. Make sure that the garage door chain is securely placed.
- Tighten the nuts of the tensioner and adjust accordingly to avoid a loose garage door chain.
For problems that need great expertise, leave it to the professionals.
Seek help from a garage door repair company near you.
Need Assistance on Garage Door Repairs?
If the above tips do not help, it is time to leave it to the experts rather than trying to fix it by yourself.
What you are trying to fix may not be the real problem.
If you are a resident or have a business here in Calgary you can trust Kald Gart Doors for your garage door repairs and maintenance.
For garage door installation and repair services you can rely on us.
We are glad to be at your service.
All you have to do is call us.