Table of Contents
A garage door that won’t open can be a major inconvenience and a safety concern. This article discusses the various types of garage doors, common reasons why they might not open, and how to repair them. Additionally, you’ll find information on garage door repair service costs in Calgary and answers to related questions.
Garage Door Types and Sizes
Garage doors come in various types and sizes to accommodate different residential and commercial needs. Some common types include:
- Sectional Garage Doors: These doors consist of several horizontal panels hinged together, allowing the door to roll up vertically and slide along a track.
- Roll-Up Garage Doors: Typically found in commercial applications, these doors are made of durable steel and roll up into a coil when opened.
- Tilt-Up Garage Doors: These doors are single-panel doors that tilt outwards and upwards to open.
- Swing-Out Garage Doors: Also known as carriage doors, these doors open outwards like a traditional hinged door.
Garage door sizes vary depending on the application, but standard residential sizes include single doors (8-9 feet wide) and double doors (16-18 feet wide).
Common Reasons Garage Doors Won’t Open and How to Repair Them
Garage door springs can break due to wear and tear or extreme temperatures. If your door isn’t opening, check for a broken torsion spring above the door or a broken extension spring on the sides. Replacing broken springs can be dangerous, so it’s best to contact a professional garage door repair service for assistance.
Dead Transmitter Batteries
If your garage door opener’s remote isn’t working, the transmitter batteries may be dead. Replace the batteries and test the remote again.
Misaligned Photo Eyes
Garage door openers have photo eyes on either side of the door to detect obstructions. If the photo eyes are misaligned or dirty, the door won’t open. To fix this issue, clean and realign the photo eyes.
Disconnected or Damaged Cables
Broken or disconnected cables can prevent your garage door from opening. Inspect the cables and contact a repair service if they need replacement.
Obstructions in the Track
Check the garage door track for any obstructions, such as debris or bent sections. If you find any issues, adjust the track or contact a professional for repairs.
Garage Door Repair Services Costs in Calgary
The cost of garage door repairs in Calgary varies depending on the type and extent of the problem. On average, homeowners can expect to pay between $100 and $500 for common repairs, such as spring replacements, cable repairs, and track adjustments. More extensive repairs or replacements may cost more. To get the best value, look for affordable garage door repair services in Calgary.
How do I know if my garage door spring is broken?
Signs of a broken garage door spring include a loud bang, a gap in the spring, a crooked door, or difficulty lifting the door manually. If your garage door isn’t opening and you suspect a broken spring, you should check the door’s torsion or extension springs. These springs are essential components of your garage door system and help lift and lower the door. Broken springs can be dangerous and should only be handled by a professional.
Here’s what to do if you think your garage door springs are broken:
- Look for visual signs: Check the garage door springs for visible signs of damage, such as gaps or irregular shape. Torsion springs are located above the door, while extension springs run along the tracks on either side.
- Check for unusual noises: When operating your garage door, listen for loud snapping or banging noises. These sounds could indicate a broken spring.
- Test the door balance: Disconnect the garage door opener and try to lift the door manually. If it’s difficult to lift or won’t stay open, the springs may be broken or unbalanced.
- Don’t attempt a DIY repair: Repairing garage door springs can be dangerous, especially for inexperienced individuals. If you suspect a broken spring, contact a professional garage door repair service to handle the job.
Garage Door Repair Services Costs in Calgary
The cost of garage door repair services in Calgary can vary depending on the type and extent of the issue. Here are some average costs for common garage door repairs:
- Broken spring repair: $150-$250
- Cable replacement: $100-$200
- Garage door opener repair: $100-$300
- Roller replacement: $100-$150
- Track repair: $100-$200
Keep in mind that these costs are estimates and can vary based on the specific repair needed and the company providing the service.
People Also Ask
How do I know if my garage door springs are broken?
Look for visual signs of damage, such as gaps or irregular shape. Additionally, listen for loud snapping or banging noises when operating the door. If the door is difficult to lift manually or won’t stay open, the springs may be broken or unbalanced.
Can I fix a broken garage door spring myself?
Fixing a broken garage door spring can be dangerous, especially for inexperienced individuals. It’s recommended to contact a professional garage door repair service to handle the job safely and effectively.
How much does it cost to repair a garage door in Calgary?
The cost of garage door repair services in Calgary can vary depending on the type and extent of the issue. Average costs for common repairs range from $100 to $300. Be sure to get a quote from a reputable garage door repair company in your area.
How often should I service my garage door?
It’s recommended to perform annual garage door maintenance to ensure your door operates smoothly and safely. Regular maintenance can help prevent issues and extend the lifespan of your garage door system.
In conclusion, when you can’t open your garage door, it’s essential to first assess the issue and then determine the best course of action. Remember that attempting DIY repairs can be dangerous and may cause further damage. Instead, rely on professional garage door repair services in Calgary to ensure your door is fixed safely and effectively.